On the lawn last night around 8:30 or so, as I was sitting in a camping chair with my cat Gus on my lap, I noticed him glancing suddenly off to the right, as if something were moving about in the dark. I thought I also heard an unexpected sound, so I turned on my flashlight. Through the beam a rather large bat abruptly flew, heading south. I turned off the flashlight and I watched as the bat spiraled up towards the lambent moon, which softly glowed under a thin veil of cloud from behind the still tulip tree. It was a marvelously poignant Halloween image, this rather large bat flickering moonward into the shadowy drooping branches of the tulip tree whose leaves lightly trembled in a damp whisper of a breeze.
Top Posts & Pages
- Consciousness is not an artifact of any mechanical or chemical process. It is not the effect of anything. If it wer… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- The trend of treating consciousness as an artifact of some algorithmic process appears to be leading many to treat… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- The purpose of intellect is to reveal how little one truly knows. Abol-Hosein Noori 5 months ago
- If I were not guided by the fragrance of Love's City, I'd have followed dark spirits into the endless desert of greed. -Rumi (tr. Star) 5 months ago
- The air that's trapped in caverns becomes stale How different from the breeze that fills a sail! -Rum (tr. Dhondy) 5 months ago
View By Category